Tuesday, February 26, 2008

What Can't I do with a Hot Glue Gun?



Lucy is giving us a nice morning nap, so I had a chance to address a small problem that has been bugging me: our kitchen cabinets, particularly, the cabinet that holds all our tupperware-type containers. We need a lot of them because of all the stuff we freeze, but we can never find lids to match the containers, and it's generally a big mess with a lot of wasted space. My idea: lid holders attached to the door. Our cabinet doors aren't very thick, so I couldn't buy any of the ones that screw in without some ugliness on the front of the doors. So I decided to make my own.

MacGyver-like, I used some cardboard that was going into the recycling bucket. My tools of choice: Utility knife and hot glue gun. I rigged up two of them and attached them to the inside of the cabinet doors. We'll see if they're durable enough, and if so, I might have to add a few more!

Here's the view from above:


In other small project news, we added a new smoke detector on the first floor:

We also discovered, while trying to replace the batteries in our other smoke detectors, that they are in fact hard-wired into the electrical system. So we won't be taking those ones down. I think we will add some battery-powered ones, just for some extra security. Apparently, you're supposed to replace them every 10 years anyway, and who knows how long these have been around?

[Lucy awoke mid-post, so that's all the project-doing for today.]

1 comment: