Wednesday, October 28, 2009

I'm gonna be on television....

I just realized that some of our readers might not know about my upcoming TV appearance, because I neglected to write about it on the blog before now. I find it very hard to believe that I failed to blog/brag about this, but I guess I had a few other things going on back when this all started, and then I kind of forgot about it until today. So now, here's the story.

In June, I got a call from a guy who works for the PBS affiliate in Western Massachusetts, WGBY. He was developing a program on "Haunted New England," telling tales of spooky scary stories from the area. He found out about my witchcraft research and asked if I would serve as an "expert." Well sure, why not?

The crew (a producer and a cameraman) showed up on June 17th and transformed our dining room into a TV studio. Somewhere, there are pictures of this, but I can't find them now. I talked about my witch research and he asked me some questions about haunted stories in the area. It was a fun afternoon, and very strange experience to see how TV gets made. Who knew that setting up lighting was so involved? They had to black out all our windows (and there are a lot of them). There were also some sound issues, in particular our fuzzy family member (Carter) had to be asked to leave the room because the jingle of his collar kept showing up on the sound. (I thought it could have stayed there as a ghostly echo.) Anyway, it was a lot of fun and both the producer and the cameraman were great.

So today I got the call from the producer, and it's going to be airing tomorrow for the first time. Wow! It will be on WGBY out in Western Massachusetts, which sadly, we don't get, so I won't get to cringe (yet).

Here's a link to the trailer for the show (I'm not in this):
http://www.wgby.org/hauntednewengland/index.html

The producer told me that my specific witchcraft stories didn't make it into the TV-length version, but they do appear on the DVD. He also said that I DO appear in the TV version as what he called "the voice of reason." I found this hilarious. I found it all the more hilarious after I watched the trailer above, which is clearly lacking in such a voice.

The show should air on our local PBS station, WGBH Boston, sometime in December (for people who like to celebrate their Halloween a little bit later). Also, I'm supposed to be getting copies of both the DVD and TV versions once they're available. So for those of you looking to complete your media portfolio of 83 Durant stars, you'll want to get your hands on this. This shouldn't be too hard; I think WGBY is actually going to use the DVD as a pledge premium. Yes, dear reader, I will be used to strongarm viewers during a pledge drive. Awesome!

I hope to post again soon, but in case I am neglectful, have a Happy Halloween!

1 comment:

  1. the voice of reason! that IS spooky! :-) congrats! can't wait to see it.

    ReplyDelete