Monday, April 26, 2010

No Peanuts (still)

Today we went to the allergist for the second time to check in on Lucy's peanut allergy. You may remember that there was an incident last year, and the allergy to peanuts and walnuts was confirmed by a skin test. We were hopeful that she might have conquered the allergy, but sadly, no. Lucy is still allergic to peanuts. She might not be allergic to walnuts (her skin didn't show a reaction) but apparently there's some cross-contamination with nuts, so we probably shouldn't try it.

No PB&Js for this one.

Epi-Pen is at the ready.

But as long as you're reading, we should share a "Conversations with Lucy" feature from today's car ride to the doctor. We were listening to some of our music, namely, They Might Be Giants' classic album, Flood. We were listening to the track "Dead," which may be familiar to readers of our generation & musical persuasion. The opening lyrics are

I returned a bag of groceries
Accidentallytaken off the shelf
Before the expiration date

So far, so good. But then, there's a line that goes

And was everybody dancing on the casket?

Then we hear a voice pipe up from the backseat:

"What's a casket?"

I asked her to repeat what she'd said just to be sure I had heard correctly, and indeed, she wanted to know what a casket was. Readers, I assume you all know that "casket" was one word I knew quite well as a kid, as my father sold caskets. I don't know how old I was when I knew what one was, but I also don't remember not knowing what one was. I will have to ask my mom if I asked or when I knew. Anyway, I did the parent cop-out and told her that a casket was a box. It's true. Or at least true-ish. Oh boy, I can't wait until Lucy is able to read this and use all of this against me.

No comments:

Post a Comment