Thursday, April 29, 2010

A Close Call

Minutes ago, I was sitting in the front office when I heard a frightening crash. I looked out the window and saw this:


If you're wondering where this is, here's the damage from another angle, showing 83 Durant:

WOW! Thankfully, no one was parked in the driveway of this house (there is often a schoolbus parked here), and no one was around. Yikes!

Update: After the tree came down, our great neighbor Lisa came over and helped me fix our driveway fence. I don't know if you can see this in the photo, but the fence between the neighbor's driveway and ours was in very bad shape, and it was about to fall over in the wind. Lisa brought her skill saw, and more importantly, her skills, and made short work of fixing our fence. YEAH LISA! She is a problem solver!

Also, I dug around in my early house files and found the number of the owner of the property next door. It's a rental unit, and we don't really know the tenants, who were all at work. Back when we first moved into 83 Durant, we had a tree taken down that was on the property line, between our two houses, so we had looked up the owner and called him. I still had his name and number (because that's how I roll) so I called to let him know. He was here in less than half an hour to assess the situation, and he called his tenants to give them a heads up.

I just got in from talking with them. We had said a regular "hello" and general politeness in the past, but now we know each others' names, and we exchanged phone numbers. Hooray! Neighborliness and disaster go together well. Here's for more neighborliness and less disaster!

But for now, here's more pix of the disaster:


No comments:

Post a Comment