Monday, September 20, 2010

Bad Parenting Commentary, by Lucy

I am guilty of some bad parenting. My guilt has been compounded by the fact that my daughter has pointed out to me the error of my ways. I stand corrected, and shamed. So I'm sharing the details with you:

While giving Lucy a bath this evening, I remembered an e-mail that I needed to write. I am fully aware that this e-mail was not super-important (no e-mail really is); I will attempt to justify it only by saying that I needed to contact a student, and that I was worried that I would forget to do so if I didn't write it down or do it (and I had neither pen & paper or the internet in the bathroom). I know what I did was wrong.

Lucy was enjoying her bath, playing and having fun. So I said "I'll be right back; keep playing," and hustled off to the front room. I sat down to start a quick e-mail so that I wouldn't forget. Thirty seconds or so later, I hear the patter of little (wet) feet. Lucy is coming to get me.

Me: What are you doing?
Lucy: I'm done with my bath.
Me: But you were supposed to wait in the bath.
Lucy: But you weren't there. So I got out.
Me: But you're not supposed to get out of the bath by yourself.
Lucy: But you weren't there.

[By the way, by now I have scooped her up in a towel and we are talking in the bathroom while I dry her off. There are wet footprints everywhere. Also note, prior to this, I don't think Lucy has ever gotten out of the bathtub by herself.]

Me: Lucy, you weren't supposed to get out of the bathtub by yourself. It's dangerous.
Lucy: You weren't supposed to be in the front room.
[Yikes. She got me there.]
Me: OK, yes, you're right. I shouldn't have left. I'm sorry. But don't get out of the bath by yourself again, OK? Promise you will ask for help next time?
Lucy: But you will be in the bathroom next time.

My child is a guilt-inducing machine. More than usual today, it seems.

No comments:

Post a Comment