Thursday, December 9, 2010

Lesson Learned: Pop Culture Trumps Parenting

I've been (foolishly) proud of Lucy's musical ear. She's very good at picking out tunes and recognizing her favorites. I'm always (again foolishly) proud when she yells out "that's Wilco!" or "I want Jonathan Richman!" from the backseat. We fell like virtuous hipster parents when this happens. We beam with delight as she sings along to Magnetic Fields songs we sing to her as lullabies.

So I was rather shocked by today's conversation with Lucy:

While driving home from school, we were listening (naturally) to NPR, which had a story on "The Making of a Hit Song," featuring samples. Suddenly, from the backseat, I hear:

"That's Justin Beiber! Mom! That's Justin Beiber!"

And she proceeded to sing along to lyrics that mostly seemed to feature the word "baby" in various inflections.

I am not lying when I say that I don't know a Justin Beiber song. I am vaguely aware of his existence, and the fact that he's some sort of pop music phenom (perhaps from American Idol? I don't actually know). It's not that I dislike him, I'm just not hooked up to that particular line of contemporary popular music culture. I had no idea that she knew that such a thing as "Justin Beiber" existed, let alone that she could recognize one of his songs. Apparently, they have learned about Justin Beiber -- where else? -- at school. They regularly have dance parties (of which I totally approve) and apparently, one of her teachers is a fan.

Pop culture, you have won. We surrender.

No comments:

Post a Comment