Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Transitive Venus*

Lucy announced this evening that she really likes space.  She had just finished making one of her signature rockets (a regular creation made with empty toilet paper tubes) which featured some fancy red rick-rack that I found.  She was also wearing her rocket PJs.  This evening's space excitement was inspired, in part, by the transit of Venus, which we learned about -- where else -- but on NPR.  We heard some details yesterday while we were in the car, and Lucy was insistent that I get more info.  This afternoon, as promised, I had some photos to show her (thank you, internets!) and we talked about the planets and whatnot.  A few questions ensued:

Are rockets real?

Are spacemen real?

I'm always delighted by these conversation about what's "real," because it's often the case that everything is possible in her mind -- both rockets and spacemen are equally plausible (or implausible) to her.

We watched some of Venus's transit live online, as the sun hasn't really been so agreeable today (and we don't have the right kind of viewing device to avoid ruining our eyes).  In fact, it doesn't feel much like June here -- our heat even kicked on last night!

Anyway, if you missed it, your next chance is in 2117.

You can watch an animation of photographs from the 1882 transit here.  Pretty cool stuff.

Also, it's called "Transit OF Venus" -- as in the transit of Venus across the sun.  I mis-heard it, and believed it to be "Transitive Venus."  It doesn't really make much sense, but I've decided that it's the name of my new band. 

2 comments:

  1. Transitive Venus is welcome to open up for Clockwise Roosevelt ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG, I had totally forgotten about Clockwise Roosevelt! I love that band(name)!

    ReplyDelete