Monday, April 18, 2011

(Some) Faith in (some) humanity restored

This afternoon, the doorbell rang, and it was a woman holding my wallet. As you may recall, my wallet was stolen while I was grocery shopping at Hannaford last Thursday evening. As suspected and suggested, the thief ran off with the wallet, grabbed anything worth grabbing (cash, gift cards) and tossed the rest not far from the Hannaford. The kind stranger who showed up at my door had done her best to reassemble it and had managed to collect all the cards and such out of the dirt, and brought them back to me. She even tried to track me down at my office (I wasn't there) so she drove over to our house.

So I have all my cards back, and even my change and T-token. And obviously, the wallet itself. I've already canceled the cards and ordered a new license and University ID, but still, there were a few random things in there that I had forgotten were in there, so it's nice to have it back. It's also nice to know that no one is out there trying to steal my identity (oh, and you know my identity is so coveted!). I was also very very grateful to the woman who drove across town with a stranger's wallet. It was a great kindness. I feel foolish for never asking her name. Thank you, stranger. You have renewed my faith in human decency, at least for some portion of humanity.

No comments:

Post a Comment