Sunday, August 19, 2007

Basement Improvements and New Plant Purchases

Today we got rid of a few things via Freecycle, but we also acquired some new things: These awesome lockers:


There are two sets of two lockers each. They're perfect for re-living my high school years. And also for storage.


Carter was not a big fan:

Now that the lockers are here, the basement is becoming much more like "Man Town." We've set up the TV for the future exercise area. There was an old radio left here by the previous owners. We took out the (broken and dusty) insides and we're using the case as a TV stand. I think it's pretty great. I'm thinking the little round glass needs a clock, or maybe a fishbowl in it.



Also, I've been working on drawing circuit maps of the house. This started in part because we finally plugged in (and began filling) our FREEZER! We wanted to make sure that it wasn't on the same circuit as something else (like the dryer). The circuit box has some indicators about what goes to what, but they're kind of confusing, and some of them are just wrong.

Here's my map of the basement outlets:

We also went to Salt Box Nursery, where we had a gift certificate (thanks, Rose and John!) and we bought some new addtions to the yard. They're either small trees or large plants.
We got a pair of holly trees -- male and female:

This is a lilac tree.
It should bloom purple, so we're going to put it next to our (rather large) white lilac that's already in the back yard.

3 comments:

  1. My breaker box is still not completed designated ,even after 39 years. I only think about it when I have to shut something off and have to play with all the buttons.

    I am a big supporter of Freecycle. Did you get the lockers from Freecycle? They bring back memories for me too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yup, the lockers are from Freecycle. Freecycle is awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those lockers are awesome! Seeing Carter sitting unhappily in the locker reminds me of when I was a freshman in high school getting shoved into lockers...ah, good times...

    I like your ideas for the circular opening in the TV stand. The only idea I could come up with was to mount some sort of snack bin with a lid into that opening - snacks at the ready!

    (And thanks for your support for the MS 150!)

    ReplyDelete