Sunday, August 28, 2011

Irene-watch, Day 3: mini-tornado?

We're all OK here. We still have power. But we've had a spot of drama.



As it is so humid here, I put on all the downstairs A/C units, so as to get things cool and less damp inside. This means closing off the downstairs bathroom. I left the window to that room open, since it's protected by the back porch. Apparently, I created some kind of freaky vacuum-room, and when the winds picked up, they created a cyclone of sorts inside the bathroom. I heard a crash while I was in the kitchen and came running. Lucy was fine, stickering away, and seemed to have noticed nothing. So I carried on about my business. About 15 minutes later, when I went to use the bathroom, I discovered this:





That's the medicine cabinet that was formerly above the toilet, as well as all of its contents. Yikes. It appears that it was ripped off the wall.



In its downward trajectory, it crashed onto the toilet tank, shattering the top (but thankfully not the tank itself, so there's no water)



Thank goodness no one was in there. That would have been bad.



I've closed up all house windows now. It's getting ugly out there.



Stay safe, folks. Beware of medicine cabinets. (If you'd like to see the medicine cabinet in happier days, you can read this old post.)

No comments:

Post a Comment