Thursday, August 11, 2011

so much to blog, so little time

If you're wondering why I've not been blogging lately, here's a visual for you:
Yup. Tenure binders. 14 of 'em. They are making my life miserable. But well-documented misery, that's for sure.

But there have been tons of things happening that I want to blog about -- our trip to the beach, the visit from Grandma, the progress of the garden (ooh! blueberries and tomatoes), the fun of the folk festival, Carter's haircut, our latest awesome new gadgets (I'm looking at you, carbonator!), our broken car and the mechanics of dubious honesty and/or competence....and the list goes on. I hope to come back to these sometime. I also really want to scan some of Lucy's recent drawings, which have been pretty amazing. But I just don't have the time at the moment. Blargh!

So for now, here are some teasers:
1) What's going on here:
Yup, exciting electrical work here at 83 Durant. In a forthcoming issue of "The Joys of Old House Electrical Systems."

2) Updates from Lucy's school. In Orange Family, things get more rigorous. Students have to start thinking about their future life plans. Witness the board of "When I grow up, I will be..." from Lucy's classroom:
And here is a close-up of Lucy's plan:
I think I might need to include that in my tenure binder.

3) Conversations with Lucy:
Oh, there have been so many. Here is a short, recent one:
Lucy (while sitting in stroller on the way home from school): Mom, what comes after zero?
Bridget (assuming this question is a trick): "uh, one?"
Lucy (exasperated): NO Mom, the other way.
Bridget: Uh, negative one.
Lucy (delighted!): NEGATIVE ONE!

Needless to say, Jake is delighted and preparing for further discussion of integers.

3 comments:

  1. I like the Billionaire kid the best. He cuts through all the B.S. about occupations, and gets down to brass tacks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You also might want to take a closer look at "Cinderella." He's my favorite.

    ReplyDelete
  3. When Jake was in second grade, he asked me did I know what the middle number was. I then went through a long explanation about how you could always make larger numbers by adding one more and so you can't have a middle number. He listened patiently and then said,"It's zero."

    Dad

    ReplyDelete