Wednesday, January 3, 2007

Some things broken; some things fixed

I don't think I mentioned this previously on the blog, but the dishwasher broke on Friday. Its tiny "clean" light blinked and blinked and blinked, but believe me, those dishes were not clean. A-1 Maintenance Master to the rescue. A very nice man came today and checked it out. Dis-assembled the whole thing, got down to where the motor lives, and discovered:

A NAIL.

I am not kidding. I can't figure out how a nail got down in there, but there it was, making the motor (and thus the washer) inoperable.

The machine is back together and humming away now.

In other news, we have a leak in the roof and/or chimney. We discovered this because Jake was up in the attic to deal with the critter situation. Without the critter situation, we wouldn't know about the leak. Thanks, critters! Your work here is done. Now please leave. I wonder if the critters read the blog. That would explain why they don't fall for the traps. They know we're after them.

The slate roof guy tells us that it's a chimney problem, so we need a mason. We're working on finding one. I am a little exhausted by 83 Durant at the moment. Oh, and by the way, for those who already read the previous chimney post (WHHHHHAT #3) it's not even that chimney. All this time, I've been worried about the back chimney (what's with the hole? where does the water go?) when the front chimney was the real problem. [FYI, The front chimney vents the furnace; the back chimney vents the stove.] I still find chimneys mysterious and perhaps a bit ominous.

No comments:

Post a Comment